Sunday 3 May 2015

AUDEMARS PIGUET ROYAL OAK OFFSHORE SAFARI 2014

After staying quiet for quite sometime... The WIS bug starts biting yet again.
And this time, it's stiff... So stiff that I might stop for at least a year... lol


Yup... It's the Royal Oak Offshore Ref: 26470ST.OO.A801CR.01 which is the new model released in 2014. The reference is a mouthful, let's just call this the Royal Oak Offshore Safari 2014 from here on.

Last year, Audemars Piguet released 6 new "reimagined" Offshores. 4 in stainless steel and 2 in gold.
I have always liked the Offshore collection from AP but me being the nitpicking guy that I am, a few things kept me off.
First is the rubber pushers and crown. Some have said that they are durable but need replacing after some time. I am not a fan of replacing parts besides the usual gaskets.
The second is the solid caseback. I am not a fan of solid casebacks unless they are nicely engraved (see Zenith Montre D'Aeronef Type 20 GMT or Extra Special)

So, when I heard that AP was going to "reimagine" the Offshore line, naturally I was excited.
I specifically hoped that 3 things would happen.

1. Ceramic crown and pushers.
2. Display caseback.
3. Ceramic bezel.

Well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
The watch still sport a stainless steel bezel.
The ceramic bezel is still reserved for the higher end 44mm Novelty Offshores.

Having owned and rotated with my other watches for 4 months now. I think a review is at hand.


Out of the 4 stainless steel models released (Navy, Black/Red, Slate Grey, Safari), my choice was either the Black/Red or the Safari.
Having seen the Black/Red in Korea, it felt slightly underwhelming.
This is of course a very personal preference.
And when my local AD called to let me know that the Safari and the Navy was available. I went there to view both in person and settled on the Safari.
BTW, I heard that the bestseller was the Slate Grey model.


The ivory dial is the 1st thing that grabs my attention.
The previous version comes with an off white dial (very very close to white actually), this version with the ivory dial is just awesome.
Coupled with the dark brown accents, it matches well with the "Safari" theme.

AP Logo is now applied rather than printed like the previous version.

Sharp eyes will also notice that the dial, although still carrying the "mega tapisserie" pattern, has lost the concentric grooves that are always visible on the previous models due to manufacturing techniques.
I guess they changed the manufacturing process as the newer dial are all matte and smooth.
I like it this way as it lends a sleek and modern feel to the watch.

The hands are also faceted to accommodate the sleeker modern dial.

You can also see that the date aperture is quite deep... it is due to the fact that the watch is powered by a piggybacked movement.
What it does is with the chronograph module on top of the base movement, the date wheel is way deeper that it's suppose to be.
So there is magnification, and the magnification glass is placed on the dial. This maintains the flat sapphire glass.
Unlike how Rolex does it but that is the Rolex trademark "look". Magnification is placed on top of the sapphire glass which is a protruding piece of glass we affectionately call the "cyclops"


The markers still remain the same.
Cutoff numerals are not one of my favourites.
I think it might work better with just some stick markers.


Another change is the crownguards design.
It's now more pronounced and slightly more complex with the various angles and facets.
I like it. Adds to the overall modern feel.
As I mentioned before, pushers and crown is now ceramic.
They are nicely made and well finished.
One thing still bugs me, the fully screwed down crown still does not align the AP logo... sheeeesh... 
With the screwed down crown, water resistance is rated to 100m.



A close look at the crown and pushers.


The flawless execution of beveled lugs.


The sapphire caseback showcasing the movement.
From the back, it looks exactly like my Royal Oak 15400.
It is because this watch uses the same caliber 3120 as a base with a Dubuis Depraz chronograph module mounted on top.
AP calls this caliber 3126/3840

I know some people dread the use of modular movements.
I am neutral in this area. 
For me, as long as the base movement is proven reliable and robust, I am fine with it.
In this case, the base caliber have been around since 2003.
I guess whatever teething problems would have been sorted out long ago.



The watch comes mounted with a hand stitched hornback alligator strap.
It matches the overall "Safari" colour scheme.
The strap is thick on the lug side and tapers thinner till the tail end.
Slightly too thin for my liking actually.
I would love for the strap to be slightly thicker on the tail end as this watch is kind of bulky.


A pin buckle is in favour over the deployants in the previous models.
It does fit well. Slightly uncomfortable due to the sharp edges.
Rounded edged on the back of the buckle would do wonders.
And look closer. See the brown residue on the buckle?


Due to the aforementioned sharp edges, besides feeling slightly uncomfortable on the wrist, it also scrapes the edges of the strap every time I put it on.
I believe a picture speaks a thousand words.
Bear in mind I own this watch brand new and it has only been 4 months. Now imagine after 4 years.
Also take note that the strap replacements do not come cheap.



Now on to some nitpicking... lol
The underside on the gaskets under the bezel attract quite alot of dust.
Compounding the problem is that it's in an area that's difficult to reach and clean.






One of the allures of the Safari is that the dial changes in tones depending on lighting conditions as evidenced by the wristshots.
Can't help being mesmerized.
The 42mm case size is not too overwhelming but the 14.23mm case thickness is slightly tall.
Along with some of my friends, we agree that it's a scratch magnet.
Especially on the bezel.
That's why I hoped that it would come with a ceramic bezel.
Like I said, can't have it all.

Overall, the 2014 Safari achieved what it sets out to do.
A refreshing take on the Offshore collection.
On the whole, the watch feels sleek and modern.
Makes the previous models look slightly dated in my opinion.
Which is a good thing. It means the changes is more befitting for modern times.

Lastly, I would like to apologize for the lack of updates on the blog.
As you might have known, I only post watches that I either owned or loaned from friends.
I write more about ownership experiences and less on news and updates.
I think it's a better direction for me and the blog.
It makes my reviews neutral, not obligated or compelled to only write nice things.

Hope you enjoyed the review.
I hope I do not have to stop for a year.... lol

3 comments:

  1. Hi bro, I've been looking for the first adult watch for quite some time, and as you know, like MOST Sabahan, when buying a car, toyota will always come first for ease of maintenance, price for parts, etc, but i digress, hence lead me to confine my choices to Rolex, which AD can be found in KK.

    My main question is, if you are still staying in kk, where do you plan to send your AP to be serviced? and how do you shop for your watches all these while?

    To be honest, stumbling upon your blog is like striking the lottery, a guy who loves watches from KK (apparently all of us were still living on trees 15 yrs back..lol), seriously need some advise, thanks :)

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jon,

      You are right when you say that being in KK, AD availability is scarce.
      I normally visit Cortina at 1Borneo.
      Sometimes you can order brands that they carry over at other branches so that actually widens the brands that you can purchase locally.
      As for service, I will send the AP to Singapore but via Cortina, It might take some time but it gets the job done.
      Nothing wrong with Rolex though... they are the de facto choice of many Sabahans... lol

      Delete
    2. Appreciate your prompt reply, guess i'll drop by 1B to check Cortina out when i get back. Do you mind sharing the effect of GST implementation on price and discount? if you wish to make this discreet, will pm you on WMF.

      Despite the intermittent update on your blog of recent years, i find the articles that you wrote are highly informational and after reading ALL of them, i would like to take back the lottery striking statement and replace it with "opening the pandora box"!! All hell breaks loose man! Having sleepless nights feeling like getting all the watches that you have reviewed and coincidentally a lot of you preferences resonated. I'm inclined towards 40-42mm watches and aesthetic caseback just to name a few. Brands that caught my attention are AP and IWC (Gerald Genta's touch), Zenith (El-Primero movement in particular), Rolex, and Damasko (for their indestructibility).

      Your articles have certainly narrowed down my range of aim, but at the same time putting me into the dilemma of choosing the first watch to pop the cherry. That being said, great work on this blog, hope to see more in the future, cheers :)

      Delete