Thursday 21 February 2013

SUBMARINER CERAMIC REF:114060

After letting go of 2 pieces in my current collection, I have some extra funds to acquire this piece just in time for Chinese New Year.



The Basel 2012 launched Submariner Ceramic ref:114060.
It's time for a review.



As expected, the markers and the hands of the watch have gone maxi as well as the case.



Notice the thicker lugs. This makes the whole watch appear squarish. Some people hate it. I like it.
Check out the sharp and crisp bezel.



See what I mean about the watch looking squarish?
To some people, it seems like the flow of the case to the bracelet is somewhat stunted... Looks ok to me on the wrist though.



Bezel insert is now ceramic.
Markings and graduations are in platinum dust.
Ceramic is shiny and according to Rolex, will never fade, lose it's luster and virtually scratchproof and indestructible.
I don't buy the indestructible part as ceramic is known to be quite brittle.




Due to the lack of the date feature. Markings on the dial now reads "oyster perpetual"
4 lines of text on the bottom half of the dial.
Movement powering the watch is the Rolex Caliber 3131.
Movement is basically a 3130 but fitted with Rolex's in house developed parachrom blue hairspring.






Clasp is now the new fliplock clasp with the gridelock feature.
Nicely executed. Sturdy in design and function.
The old tuna can clasps are a thing of the past.
As much complaints as there are on the tuna can clasps, they will work flawlessly for 10-20 years without much problems.
Will this new design be the same? I sure do hope so.



The gridelock clasp are a welcomed improvement.
A very ingenious way of tightening or loosening the fit in 2mm increments up to a total of 20mm... all without using any tools at all!! Excellent design.




Folks with small wrists will rejoice with another improvement.
The 6 o'clock side of the bracelet can now be removed leaving a minimum of 3 links. 
Used to be 5... and the problem is this will cause the clasp will rest uneven on the wrist. Not anymore now.
And they also include a half link for you!!
So the uneven clasp resting to the side of your wrist is also a thing of the past. (folks that have small wrists and have owned the previous iteration of this model will understand)
In order to get the clasp centralised, I used 3 and a half link on the 6 o'clock side and 5 links on the 12 o'clock side.
My wrist size? 6.75 inch.
Bracelet links of course are now all solid.



Tadaaa!! Finally... the Rolex people must have been listening.



Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the watch.
It wears comfortably on my wrist.
The absence of the date means that it will fit into my regular rotation and if it happens to exhaust the power reserve, just wind it up, set the time and go.
To most people, the purest of the Submariner reference will have to be without the date. And I agree completely!

9 comments:

  1. I agree with you, the squarish case is quite unique and i like it.

    Dateless makes this model look more balance and cleaner face IMHO.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it.
      Yes it does look more balanced without the cyclops being in the way.

      Delete
  2. Excellent review and great shots! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im in serious need of your advice regarding buying this model or the 2013 GMT II black/blue ceramic bezel..

    For long i've set my eyes on sub as it offers more depth/pressure protection, as well as greater shock resistance (maybe?) (i'm a diver and would sometimes use my sub for diving.. I agree that true sub is this classic without date, but am also intrigued with the 2013 GMT that looks flawless and dressier than the sub

    what would be ur advice? i've saved my money for a long time, and its about time; i can only get 1 of those... amd the other wouldnt be for a long long while..

    IF only this new sub is offered in blue bezel/dial (combination of both) in SS, I'll take that in heartbeat over a GMT. but its not, and no way i can afford it in precious metals... and that GMT II dual color bezel is lookin to woe me more and more everyday... thoughts from u please.. (i would really appreciate if u can pm me on my email, thx )

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. The watch looks good on your wrist. Can you let us know what your wrist size is?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought one 114060 2 months ago. And I love it, so pure and mithycal... The bezel don´t look flashy, is perfect to me. Thank you for the review!!

    ReplyDelete