Tuesday 16 October 2012

THE MEANING OF WATCH COLLECTING

If I have to pinpoint the start of my interest in watches, it has to be my 1st day in Primary School.
When I saw that my more well off friends sporting Swatch watches... damn... those are cool!!!
Immediately pestered my Dad to get me one... pestered him for months and finally he relented.

Brought me to a mall, I showed him which one I want... his answer was "Nope, too expensive... can't afford"
He picked for me what he thought was also a fashionable watch at that time.
A quartz powered Q&Q (A brand under Citizen) watch. I hope I have the pictures to show you guys what it looked like. But just can't find any. It costs a quarter of a Swatch watch.

Can't blame my Dad though... he wasn't doing that well back then... so I should be thankful I even HAVE a watch.
I grow to love the watch and it has been a good companion to me... through sweaty school days to rainy sports day... the watch never left my wrist... Eventually I outgrew the watch... it became too plasticky for me.

Long story short, it kickstarted my interest in watches. G-Shock was all the rage during Secondary School.
Can't afford them either.
So, I made a promise to myself, I told myself that I would make enough money to buy any watch I fancied... I do not want to be held down by "I can't afford it" (Still have not achieved that yet though :-P)

Some of you might ask... why watches?
For me, watches are universal... they fit anyone fat or thin, tall or short.
Watches do not pick the owner... the owner pick the watches.
Watch does not care if you are a size S or a XXL... it fits.
As long as you're comfortable wearing it... it's yours.
Same reason why I was into sneakers... (A cheaper alternative 2nd hobby)

Watches are romantic.
They evoke certain emotions within you.
Passion for watches is what makes this hobby interesting.
Making friends and meeting new people with the same passion.
Where we can talk watches for 6 hours in a cafe... and the subject is only watches!!

Watch collecting is very personal.
It means differently to different people.
Just make sure you're in it for the RIGHT reasons.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hanz,

    "Tahniah" for your new watch blog for Malaysian. I am Chow from Shah Alam, a watch nerd who collect Casio since in secondary school. Watch collecting is not about obsession but is a passion. Since I discovered the Watchuseek watch forum, I have learned a lot from the member on tip & guide.

    From my very first Casio in 1990, then the passion coming back on 2008 when I get my very first G in flea market, since then my collection now up to 30++ already...haha...

    Looking forward more to your posting soon.

    Sincerly,

    Chow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chow, it was nice hearing about your experiences.
    It is indeed the passion that makes this hobby worthwile.
    If it's about who have the latest or most expensive watch, then there is no point dabbling in this hobby.
    I am glad to tell you that I will be posting about some casio watches soon.

    ReplyDelete