Wednesday 12 December 2012

ROLEX EXPLORER II "POLAR" REF:16570

This is the 1st luxury watch I got for my Dad.
I have since upgraded a new one for him (that's for another post)


The Rolex Explorer II ref:16570
This is considered by most to be a stealth Rolex.
Which when worn, is mostly unrecognized as a Rolex from afar.
I true tool watch that is meant to be worn.



Rolex market this watch for cave explorers or spelunkers so that the red GMT hand is to differentiate between night and day.
But most will use it as a 2nd time zone indicator.
The Sunburst brushed 24 hour bezel carries a toolish look.
Movement being fitted to this particular watch (M Serial) is actually a Caliber 3186... which is the exact same movement found in the more expensive Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic ref:116710LN.
Caliber 3186 also comes with the Rolex developed hairspring called the "Parachrom Blu Spring"
Advantage wise is that this hairspring is practically impervious to magnetic fields.



I actually bought the watch for myself as my 1st Rolex but decided to give it to my dad as he liked the legibility of the black hands on a white dial.
During my brief time with the watch, I find it comfortable to wear.
Although this watch was currently upgraded to the new ref:216570 which got upsized to 42mm and an Orange GMT hand, this version is still pretty popular... although tastes and trends may come and go.
It remains as the Rolex that introduced me to the brand and ultimately it's watches and history.



Something worth noting is that besides the Daytona and the Milgauss, this is the only other sports / professional model that have a choice of either black or white dial.
I find that the white dial works more for this particular model as the black is too close in similarity with GMTII.



I believe at the current going prices for this piece, it is easily the best bang for the buck Rolex sports model out there.
You are getting a movement which is robust and proven, a new one that is fitted with the GMTII, and costs way less.
It's stealthy and it doesn't scream Rolex.
Since I have upgraded my Dad's watch... this one is currently on the chopping block.
Will I miss it? Probably will... but there are others calling out my name and something have just gotta go.
Unfortunate that it is this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment