Tuesday 6 November 2012

PRE-JUDGING WATCHES

I seem to get myself into uncharted territories nowadays.
Today, let's talk about pre-judging watches.
A term that my good friend shared with me.
I admit, in my journey, I have countless times pre-judge watches before I know them personally.
Be it the design, things I have heard about the people that have worn them, or things that I have personally experienced.

When I was in my early 20s... I despise Rolex watches.
Yes I do. I find them boring... overpriced... and most importantly pretentious.
People wearing Rolex watches seems to only want to send a message... that they've made it.
That they have arrived big time.
And being in my line of work, can't help it that another image of Rolex watches that are being portrayed is that they're liquid.
You need money? Any pawn shop will take it. Simple as that.
I have even posted on a few forums on my disdain of Rolex... and the repercussions were... well... understandable.
But then, someone which I have never met in my entire life, messaged me as he is coming down to town and wanted to meet up.
A fellow WIS. Cool, I thought... doesn't hurt to expand my circle of friends.
We talked at a local coffee house and he taught me alot about Rolex watches.
And it is him that I jumped in and bought my 1st one, a Rolex Polar Explorer II ref:16570... actually it was for my Dad.
And I was changed, I find them really well made and most importantly, reliable.
So, I ate my own words... no big deal.
We learn during the journey.

Now recently,
I hate Panerai watches. Yes I do.
I find that their watches are stale, big, bold and brash.
Just like their owners.
I have met people that called themselves "Ristis" or "Paneristis", which is an endearing term for something like a brotherhood of Panerai lovers... a very passionate bunch.
But the problem is, they adore Panerai so much that it is beyond criticism. Any criticism that you spot on any watch forum, and they will come in droves to support their brand.
Supporting a brand is the norm, it's like saying which carmaker is your favourite, but it doesn't make the other carmakers bad right?
But I have been ridiculed... yes... by Ristis no less... they said that at this day, no watches are worth collecting but Panerai.
Other watches are just a waste of time and money.
So, it is only natural that it adds to my hate for the brand.

It is also in this time that I met an ultra WIS... he taught me even more about Panerai watches and their history.
I was about 75% sold... his patience, knowledge and perspective of the brand really opened up my mind.
He owns over 10 Panerai watches, and still he does not consider himself a Risti. Why? Well, let's just say he knows the stigma of term "Risti"... Some owners just do not want to automatically be called a Risti just because he owns a Panerai watch.
After sharing his collection with me, suddenly I felt that Panerai watches ain't THAT bad... it's the portrayal of some hardcores that's making it LOOK bad. Pretty well built actually.
So, a friend of mine wanted to sell an old beaten up PAM005 and I decided what the hell, maybe it's time I got one.
And I did.

Again, the same thing happened to me.
I was voicing my disdain for Ristis (based on my own experiences) at local foras.
I even shared some nasty back and forth with a fellow Risti that he decided to send me a private messages asking what is bugging me?
Needless to say, he is a Risti of my local Malaysian chapter.
He is adamant that I joined in the local Risti scene.
Shared with me the passion and camaraderie.
It was good for a moment.

Until I decided to post at their "home" site what I thought was a legitimate question and concerns and I was labelled a "troll"... by a fellow Malaysian who decided that it is ok to do some selective reading to what I have previously posted.

Ouch... yes I was disappointed to say the least. But it's OK. I am used to eating my own words.
So now... back to my conundrum... I have a Panerai watch, but I am being cast into Pariah-zone...
Since the watch that I bought is an old beaten up watch that doesn't come with a nice leather strap (it was badly used), I am wearing it on OEM rubber strap.
I ordered some straps from some well known makers (I think) and I am just starting the Panerai journey and brotherhood.
And as fast as I am in... I am now out.
It really is a tough community to break into... one which I will not try again.


Now I am sitting at my office. Exact pose as the above picture... Deep in thought, thinking maybe this Panerai thing and me is just not meant to be.

But hey, I am used to eating my own words :-)

Point is there are ristis and there are RISTIS.
There are wis and there are WIS.
There are collectors and there are COLLECTORS.

Day after day, the line gets blurred, then everything is lumped altogether.
So, in your journey... I do hope you meet some hardcores every now and then, so that you will recognize the real deal and treasure it more.
I did.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hanz,
    Stumble into your blog via The Hobbit's.
    Congrats!
    BTW, must be nice to be able to wear Tees and PAM to work :)
    Take care, Ciao!

    Bryan (MWForumer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bryan... Nice to see you here too.
      Thanks for stopping by and yes... I wear Tees and PAM on a casual Tuesday. :-)
      Hope you enjoy it here in my humble blog.

      Delete