Sunday 4 November 2012

ZENITH EL PRIMERO RAINBOW FLYBACK

This is another watch in my collection that is deemed "untouchable"
Being a huge Zenith fan, I am not particularly fond of the direction they're heading now. Not design wise... just the size.
No doubt there are some nice pieces in the current collection but the sizing is not what I would recommend for Asian wrists.
They're getting too big.
So this is one of the older models that are made in the classic sizes... 40mm.
The Zenith El Primero Rainbow Flyback.



This watch is born when the French Airforce Pilots needed a sturdy, robust and reliable watch with easy legibility.
This is the monochrome black / white model.
There is another model which fits the "Rainbow" moniker better as it comes with some splash of colour here and there.
I like both equally but only crossed path with a black so here we are. I am after all a black dial man evident from my collection which consists of mostly black dialed watches.



Movement fitted in this watch is a variant of the legendary caliber 400, called the El Primero caliber 405.
The movement comes with a "Flyback" function.
On a normal chronograph, it takes one push of the 2 o'clock button to start the chronograph function, another push on the same button to stop. And one push on the button at 4 o'clock to reset the hands to zero.
What a Flyback allows is during the calculation of the elapsed time (while chronograph is still running), you can actually press the reset button to to 2 things at once. To reset the hands (chronograph seconds hand "flyback" to the starting position), and the chronograph starts again.
As opposed to a normal chronograph where you have to start, stop, reset and start.
A Flyback can complete the 4 steps in 2.



The dial is just so cool. Loaded with little details.
The contrasts of black and white meant that the legibility is excellent. Only other watch I can think of that has the same monochrome dial is the Omega Speedmaster Professional otherwise known as the "Moonwatch"
Sapphire crystal is treated with anti reflective coating on both sides.
Which meant that under certain conditions, the watch looked as if it's without a crystal.
On the outer rim of the dial, it is printed with a "Telemeter" scale.
The way the black dial merges with the black rehaut and then continues to the black bezel insert meant that the watch actually looks bigger than the 40mm case size suggest.
Date is at the 4.30 position, a trademark with old Zenith watches.
New models now have the date moved to 6 o'clock... lost some it's old school charm if you ask me.
Date clicks past in one swift jump after 12 midnight.
No creeping date wheels starting from 10pm which annoys me.




No clear caseback for me to view the movement. But as a consolation, the caseback is nicely engraved.
Thomas Priek used to make sapphire casebacks for this model but unfortunately during my correspondence with him, he no longer makes them anymore... sigh...
The watch case itself is brushed... fully... which means that the watch does not possess any shiny or reflective surfaces except for the caseback...
Total tool watch look.



Bracelet is comfortable. Well designed.
I would have like the watch to come with micro adjustments or screw pins instead of pressure pins...
Butterfly clasp is easy to use... locking clicks with an assuringly firm snap.
Does it's job well enough though so not much a complaint.



Crown is unsigned which is a little disappointing.
Would've been nice to have a Zenith Star engraved there.
Push pull type... not screw in... but water resistance rated to 100m... I won't take my chances in a swim with this watch I can tell you that...
Chronograph pushers are all good.
Easy to push and every button push comes with firm click.



I love the individual minute markers that are printed to the outer date window border. They still provide you with a marker for accurate telling of time without needing to guess.
I would prefer the arabic numbers to be intact whole instead of being cut-out... but with limited real estate on the dial, something just gotta give way.



Another thing that is missing in modern Zenith watches is that they no longer use cursive writing for "El Primero", they all have modern fonts now. Too bad in my opinion as the traditional writing seems to add a little bit of old school charm in a timepiece. My experience with this watch has been generally positive.
But of course I am biased as I am a huge fan of Zenith. :-)
Being a fan of a brand, you tend to sometimes overlook minor flaws. Not to say that this watch is flawed. It is a perfect watch... for me at least.


The reason why older Zenith watches are more sought after is actually down to 1 man.
Mr.Thierry Nataf.
When he took over the top job at Zenith, the watches released during his time was just over the top. 
Big, brash and loud... unrefined.
Totally not in line with Zenith's past and traditions.
So people started looking for older classic designs as the newer designs just couldn't relate to the fans like me.

Now that Mr.Frederic Dufour is taking the helm at Zenith for the past 2 years... I have seen Zenith going back to their roots and reviving lot's of Zenith's iconic designs. Still a long way to go... but in the meantime, I have my Zenith Rainbow to keep me company and remind me of a once illustrious era of Zenith watches... while waiting for a second coming... patiently.

5 comments:

  1. I actually really like the pictures you took of the watches. What I like about them in your blog is that they are what I call "real" watches - in that they have been worn and it shows in their scratches, dents and even a bit worn out lume dials and lastly, they on a wrist. It's great. to me its a niche. Your blogs carry these types of photos. Good work buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hanz, nice review about the rainbow flyback. I couldn't hold myself back and picked up one in the 2nd hand market. Must admit, this one is a classic and will hold on to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just took delivery of the sapphire see-through caseback made by Thomas Priek for my Zenith Rainbow Flyback. It is sold by a seller based in Germany via eBay and he has limited quantities left.

    I love this Rainbow Flyback model and it is getting rarer even on the used market now. I looked around for quite a while since last year, and I bought mine last month from a dealer in Japan who had a full set and a pristine condition watch for sale. Mine was originally sold by Higuchi in 2004, and I understand he is one of the ADs for Zenith in Japan.

    This watch has since become a permanent addition to my collection along with my Rolex Daytona!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is right on the spot, I could not agree more. I have not Idea what they are thinking but the last thing I want is a wall clock on my wrist.

    ReplyDelete